Leon and the Place Between
"I don't believe in magic," said Tom, as he settled on the grass in the show tent. Around him the crowd waited impatiently for something to happen.
"It's not real," hissed Pete. "It's only tricks."
Little Mo looked disappointed.
"Sssh now," whispered their brother Leon. "It will be magic. You have to believe. Look, it's going to begin."
The lanterns went out. In the darkness the crowd fidgeted with excitement. there was a cough, a whisper and then a loud hush. At last a soft, blue glow lit the stage and the curtains twitched.
With a ripple of gold braid . . . the curtains slowly parted . . .
Three jugglers tumbled onto the stage to the pounding beat of a drum. Skittles flew, fast and furious, back and forth, up and over. Tambourines rattled, loud and louder; skittles spun, high and higher; the jugglers twisted, fast and faster. Then bang the skittles went up . . . but they didn't come down! Everybody cheered and clapped. the jugglers bowed and bounced away.
Once more there was only darkness.
1. Where does the magic show take place?
2. Where did Tom sit down?
3. Look at what Pete said. Explain how he feels about the magic show.
4. Why do you think Little Mo looked disappointed?
5. Why do you think Leon said, "You have to believe?"
6. Find and copy one word that tells you that the crowd were keen for the show to start?
7. How did the crowd know that the show was starting.
a) It went dark.
b) Leon said it was going to start.
c) The jugglers came on stage.
8. Find and copy a group of words that mean the crowd were silent.
9. What sounds could be heard once the show started? Choose two answers.
a) The curtains opening.
b) Skittles spinning.
c) A blue glow.
d) Tambourines rattling.
e) A drum banging.
10. Based on what you have read so far, what do you think might happen next?